Edmonton Dentist: Why Do People Need To Wear Retainers After Braces
Most people, especially the individuals who are wearing braces, know that it is important to wear retainers after the dental braces Edmonton has officially been taken out. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the day your dentist removes your braces does not signify total freedom from orthodontic devices. There are people who assume that once the braces have been taken out, their teeth would stay straight forever.
Unfortunately, that is not factual because there isn’t one right position to move teeth that will guarantee a permanent result. Whether you’ve worn an orthodontic device or have never had any treatment whatsoever, when you get older, your teeth will shift no matter what. That is why it is always advisable to maintain the end result of your orthodontic treatment by wearing retainers afterwards and regularly visiting the dentist.
What are Retainers? — Edmonton Dentist
Retainers are what people usually wear once their braces have been removed. They are traditionally used as a maintenance appliance after months or years of braces. It is either a plastic or metal orthodontic appliance that keeps teeth aligned after a patient has completed orthodontic treatment with traditional braces or Invisalign clear aligners Edmonton.
Retainers are made from a mould taken when the treatment is completed. They help maintain the alignment of the teeth because they apply pressure and guidance needed to keep teeth from drifting back to their original positions. Basically, the teeth are being “retained.” Also, retainers have different styles.
There are removable retainers and non-removable ones that are permanently fixed behind the teeth. Despite that, they all share the same purpose, and that is to keep newly straightened teeth as straight as possible—for a longer amount of time. An Edmonton dentist will be the one to choose an appropriate retainer for you based on factors like your age and your particular orthodontic treatment.
What are the types of retainers? — Edmonton Dentist
1. Hawley Retainers
- Are also called wire retainers
- Commonly used retainers that many people wear
- An acrylic piece that is moulded to lay against the top of the mouth with a wire that fits around the outside of the teeth to keep them in place.
- They are removable and the attached metal wire runs across the outside of the teeth to maintain alignment
- They can be adjusted if you need a better fit or if your teeth need slight realignment later
2. Essix Retainers
- They have a similar look and design to Invisalign aligners
- They are removable and made entirely of transparent plastic
- They are meant to fit over all the teeth and cover the entire arch
- They are completely clear and are not as noticeable as Hawley retainers
- They can’t be adjusted if you need realignment, instead, you need to have them replaced
In the end, wearing a retainer after a particular orthodontic treatment will need to be according to your dentist’s instructions because they are the ones who will essentially decide the right type of retainer for you. It will totally depend on the condition of your teeth because some people need to wear a retainer every day for 4 months while some need to wear theirs for 12 months. It varies how long a person needs to wear their retainer. Contact us today to book an appointment at Allard Station Dental!